The Big Fat Indian Wedding, Part 4…

Right, so I’m going to do my best to finish with this fourth part, but we’ll see how it goes.

So where was I, oh yes, Day 8!

That truly was a happy day. My brother’s face was glowing, he was a married man! And me, I had a new sister ( ❤ ).

So, as a TamBram, we have this part of the marriage festivities called the ‘nalangu’ that happens after the marriage. A few hours after the rituals are done and the guests have left, the immediate family gathers to watch and enjoy teasing the bride and the groom as they play a few hilarious games (like breaking papad over the others head, fighting over coconuts and more). And as per tradition, the games began. My brother and my sister-in-law played their parts perfectly, giving us an entertaining time with the entire gang (kids, teens, adults and everyone else) loads of things to laugh about, enjoy and sort of bring the marriage rituals to a happy ending.

It had in fact been the most entertaining marriage I had had the chance to be a part of so far. It was pure love, happiness, family and perfect occasion!

And so, Day 8 came to an end!

After a hectic couple of days filled with rituals and traditions, all of us were looking forward to a day off! And that was entirely what Day 9 was planned for! An empty day on the calendar. But of course, we could never leave it just sitting at home, could we?

So off we went, I and everyone one of my cousins (but two who couldn’t make it) with an aunt for company all dressed up and off to lunch! We got to 1427 Bistro in Nungambakkam in less than 15 minutes and soon, the 9 of us were in there, sitting, almost filling the quaint little place up. The first day out in the trip, we had a blast, ordering whatever we liked, gossiping, teasing and well, just enjoying time with the family. Thanks to 1427 Bistro for some great food and nice music (would definitely recommend the place). So yea, Day 9 came to an end, a relaxing enjoyable day, preparing for what was to come!

My tenth day back home started very early for a few of us. My parents, my brother, sister-in-law and I left 4:30 am, driving up to Andra Pradesh for a temple visit to Tirupathy. One of our family deities, it was a part of the wedding rituals to visit the temple. It was a long day with a lot of driving and a great darshan right up until we finally got home around 7 or 8 pm. My parents and I were the only ones who got home. My brother and sister-in-law went off to visit her parents and stay the night in Bangalore, and they were to come back home the next day.

Here comes the twist in my story. What was supposed to finally be my day off (Day 11) went differently to expectations. I had been feeling sick on the drive back from Tirupathy but I put it off to car sickness and instead, I woke up Day 11 sick, again! Tired, with a cold, fever and more that I can’t remember, I spent the day curled up on the sofa watching TV trying to get better ASAP. The happy part of Day 11 though was getting to meet my best friend. We went to the Dominos close to home cause I refused to come back to the U.K. without meeting him! And so Day 11 came to an end.

My Days 12 and 13 were much more interesting and exciting. For the second temple visit in the trip, the entire family rented out a 40 seater bus filled with kids, aunts, uncles, grandmas, and grandpas off we drive to Kumbakonam. Admittedly I was curled up on the seat of the bus for the most part, but hey, who doesn’t enjoy a long drive with the entire family, sick or not. We had booked rooms in this beautiful nature resort in Kumbakonam. The place was brilliant, no exaggeration. We checked in, relaxed in the pool, had dinner (after a lot of fighting when they took about 2 hours (literally) to serve us) and finally went off to sleep and recuperate for the temple visit in the morning. Another great Darshan at the Kumbakonam Uppiliappan temple, Thirukadayur Abirami temple, and one more temple, the short trip came to an end, all of us wishing we could stay longer.

By the time we got back home on day 13, all of us were ready for sleep, excited for the next day.

So on my last day back home, all of us had planned a small surprise for the newlyweds. We had rented out a house on the East Coast Road (the one where the film Vaali (starring Ajith) had been shot). So off we went to our place for the day. We played games, we went back into the pool, we took loads of pictures, we walked to the beach in the dark, we ordered and finished pizza’s (way too much food) and we again, spent a fun day with the family. There was a yummy Ferrero Rocher cake, some champagne and lots and lots of fun.

And so, my trip back home came to an end.

We got back home around 11 pm, I slept for an hour, woke up and drove off to the airport for my flight back to Uni.

So overall, it was definitely a fast, hectic trip back home that I ended up coming back more tired than when I went. But it was definitely one of my all time favorite trips. Meeting the entire family, dressing up, enjoying, spending time at home and all that, especially after about 10 months alone was definitely a slice of heaven. I missed it all as soon as I got on that flight back. But hey, work called and I had to go.

So there you go. That was the Big Fat Indian Wedding I got to attend. I loved it! And I hoped I did justice in explaining it so you’ve loved reading about it too.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

Blog at

Up ↑

%d bloggers like this: